Saturday, July 31, 2010

First Person Plural

Memories aren't exact. It's really a series of impressions.

                                                   

  --Arly, Psychologist


.
.




Currently reading this book.

My friend Ares made me read it. (I HOPE THAT HE WON'T BE ASKING IT BACK. I'M NOT SURE IF IT WAS LENT OR GIVEN)

I read a lot of Psych-related books. This one's the heaviest psych novel I've had as of yet. It amazed me how the book explained the disorder in a way laymen would understand, and really see through it. Like, how it could occur and why it did.


This one's about a guy named Cam who developed a Dissociative Identity Disorder (formerly termed Multiple Personality Disorder). He developed 24 personalities. If you had read Sybil (I haven't but we discussed it in Abnormal Psychology class), I think you'd like this too. Except that in Sybil's case, she'd blackout and wasn't aware of the personality shifting. In this one, Cam's personality remained in his consciousness. The 24 personalities talk to each other, argue, and agree with decisions. It's a bit scary. One thing I like about it is that Cam's wife stood by him all throughout the intervention/therapy. He is one lucky husband you know! I've had interns in a mental institution and most patients there are abandoned by their families. I really like this book. I'm feeling that I'd be crying by the end of it.




No comments:

Post a Comment